Whether you are moving home, or an office, a ward or school classroom etc the golden rule is
“don’t leave getting a quote until the last minute”
- Moving is stressful at the best of times, so preparation is the key, especially in the domestic market where transactions can take on a life of their own and you may find yourself exchanging contracts and completing on the same day (although we advise that you try and avoid this, as we need to organise the logistics of staff and vehicles).
- When you are ready to proceed with a sale or purchase, contact us for a free (local), no obligation quotation. If things don’t go as you hoped, and the transaction takes a bit longer, or falls through, we can always re-visit and revise the quotation if necessary.
- We may also be able to travel a little further along the A12 corridor south of Colchester for a quotation assessment. We can sometimes give an estimate based on a description if you only have a few items to move – just give us a call to enquire
- Furthermore, in today’s market it is not unusual to find that a sale and purchase cannot be arranged for the same date, and rather than lose a purchaser, many people are choosing to have their goods stored until they are ready to move in to their new home. Please ask if you would like a price for storage as well as a direct move.
- If you have decided to accept our quotation, liaise with us as to possible dates. Please don’t assume we shall be able to move you on any given date – there is only so much work we can do and you may find yourself having to find another removal company at the last minute. We are always happy to discuss our availability with you so that your move proceeds smoothly. Tip: Fridays are popular, but there is only one in a week, and if you can, select one of the other four days!
- As soon as we have agreed a date, and you have exchanged contracts (provided there is no delay between the two), or you are otherwise legally committed to moving on a set date, complete and return the quotation acceptance to us to confirm your booking. You can drop it into the office, post it, or scan and email it to email@example.com
- If you are moving to another part of the country, for example Lincolnshire and beyond or Somerset or Devon it is more likely than not that the move will have to be done over one or two days to load the vehicle and travel, and two/three to unload and return. Please remember that our driver’s hours are limited, as is the speed of the vehicle, which will take a lot longer to reach the destination than you will in your car. They may also have to take an alternative, longer route, to avoid roads that are too narrow, or have weight restrictions or low bridges – please bear this in mind when we ask you about access.
- Consequently, any move over two days or more means that legal completion should take place earlier in the week, rather than Thursday or Friday.
- It can also be advantageous on larger loads, if we are able to part load the day before you move (excluding weekends) so that by the day of your move, you are ready and raring to go!
- If you are packing your own things, if requested the quotation will include the estimated packing materials, and we are happy to give you guidance (and our leaflet) on packing certain items such as china and glass. We cannot take liquids unless placed in a watertight crate or bin in case of leakage.
- If you require our packing services, depending on the amount to be packed, it is an advantage to all if we can do this before your moving day, and we can discuss this with you. We can give you a price to pack some or all of your household goods – some customers prefer to leave just the fragile items to us. It is also something you may wish to consider if you are a more mature person, or have been unwell – packing is hard, tiring work and we can take the stress of that out of your move for you.
- PAYMENT: It is a term of our contract that we are in receipt of cleared funds prior to your move. We accept Visa, Mastercard, Delta and Maestro cards, but due to high bank charges there is a small surcharge of half a percent on debit cards, and two percent on credit cards. We will also accept bankers’ drafts or building society cheques (drawn by the society on a savings account). A personal cheque is acceptable provided it is received at least seven working days before the move, to give it time to clear. You may also pay on line, and we can supply our bank details on request, although payment should be made at least two working days in advance to appear on our bank statement. Finally, we will also accept that good old standby – cash, although where possible would prefer it to be paid in advance at our office, to protect our removal staff.
- Payment for storage that may be extended over a few months can be paid by standing order or BACS, and if possible, we like to send invoices by pdf.
Appleby's Removals Ltd
Appleby’s Removals is a long-established (1892) removal company based in Clacton on Sea Essex, serving the Tendring and Colchester area, although we can and do carry out moves further afield.
The Container Store,
Enterprise Way (Brunel Road)
Clacton on Sea